Welcome to another exciting episode of our blog
In this episode, we will be talking about Mental Health Insha Allah…
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Mental Health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.
It also includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel and act.
Additionally, it helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices.
Most of the time, we neglect our mental health because we feel it doesn't matter as it is not physical but little do we know that our mental health is as important as our physical health, if not more important...
What are the signs that we can watch out for to be able to recognize if our mental health is failing;
- Extreme changes in mood
- Social Withdrawal
- Long-lasting sadness and irritability
- Dramatic changes in sleeping and eating habits
- Excessive worry, anxiety, and paranoia
There are several causes of poor mental health, but I am going to mention a few here;
- Discrimination and stigma
- Childhood abuse
- Traumatic Experience
- Social Isolation and Loneliness etc.
The most common types of Mental Illnesses are:
- Clinical Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Knowing the causes and signs to watch out for to keep our mental health in check, we now discuss the possible solutions and steps we can take to prevent it.
- Value yourself, treat yourself with love, respect, kindness and avoid self-criticisms.
- Surround yourself with good people
- Take care of your body, have enough sleep, eat nutritious meals, exercise and drink plenty of water.
- Give yourself: Volunteer to help someone in need, you’ll feel better doing something productive to help someone
- Learn how to deal with stress, rest when you need to, do not exhaust your body, take a walk, read a book.
- Quiet your mind through relaxation and prayers, your spirituality comes into play a little here.
- Get help when you need it, speak up when you should to a professional therapist or a trusted person, it is not a sign of weakness, rather it will help lessen complications…
Hopefully, we’ve learned a thing or two on how to take care of our Mental Health going forward.
As the Qur’an says: In Surah al- Baqarah Verse 286: “Allah does not burden a soul more than it can bear”
Stay Strong and be Steadfast…